22 June 2024, Saturday | 12:12pm

COVID-19: JDT respect govt's decision on Doha travel ban - Alistair

2020-11-12

JOHOR BAHRU, Nov 11 -- Johor Darul Ta'zim (JDT) respect and understand the government's decision not to allow them to travel to Doha, Qatar for the 2020 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League competition due to health concerns following the rise in the number of COVID-19 cases.

JDT technical director Alistair Edwards said the team had already been informed by the National Security Council (MKN) that they would not be permitted to fly to Doha.

"Although we are disappointed not to be able to take part at the highest-level of club championship in Asia as well as in the Malaysia Cup, we respect the Malaysian government's decision and understand that the action had to be taken for our own safety.

"The safety of every person, including that of the JDT squad that was scheduled to travel to Doha, is a priority. We pray and hope that the world will be able to overcome the pandemic before the new season starts in 2021,” he said in a posting uploaded on the Johor Souther Tigers Facebook page tonight.

Earlier, Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob clarified that the Southern Tigers would not be allowed to travel to Qatar next week for the ACL competition, scheduled to be held from Nov 18-Dec 19, in line with the government's decision to close all the country's borders.

Source:  BERNAMA

 

No votes yet