KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today said that the number of people attempting interstate travel to return to their hometowns for Hari Raya Aidilfitri continued to rise, with 3,212 motorists ordered to turn back nationwide yesterday.
He said this figure was much higher than the one announced earlier this week, which was close to 1,000 vehicles.
“This means there are still many who are keen to return to their hometowns for Hari Raya Aidilfitri and they tried to sneak their way past the roadblocks.
“At present, the police are strict on this matter and will not allow anyone to cross state borders,” he said during his daily Covid-19 press briefing.
The government has on numerous occasions reminded Malaysians that they will not be allowed to return to their hometowns or villages this Hari Raya Aidilfitri under the conditional movement control order.