24 March 2019, Sunday | 09:38am

Reports of dead as NZ police hunt 'active' mosque shooter

2019-03-15

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand: Several people were reported dead when a gunman opened fire at a crowded mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch, during afternoon prayers Friday.

Local media reported up six people were dead and the South Island city was placed in lockdown as police hunted for an "active shooter."

"A serious and evolving situation is occurring in Christchurch with an active shooter," police said in a statement.

"Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high."

The Masjid al Noor was filled with worshippers, including members of the Bangladesh cricket team.

One witness told stuff.co.nz he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled.

Another man said he saw children being shot.

"There were bodies all over me," he said.

An eyewitness told Radio New Zealand he heard shots fired and four people were lying on the ground, with "blood everywhere".

Unconfirmed reports said the shooter was wearing military-style clothing.

Police commissioner Mike Bush said all schools in the city had been placed in lockdown in response to "a serious ongoing firearms incident".

"Police urge anyone in central Christchurch to stay off the streets and report any suspicious behaviour," he said in a statement.

Central city buildings, including the Civic Offices and Central Library, were also locked down.

The city council offered a helpline for parents looking for kids attending a mass climate change rally nearby.

"Please do not try and come and collect your children until police say it is safe for people to come into the central city," they said.

There was no official information on casualties but a Bangladesh cricket team spokesman said none of the players were hurt.

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel," he told AFP.

He said the attack happened as some of Bangladesh players disembarked from a team bus and was about to enter the mosque.

He said most of the players went to the mosque.

He said Bangladesh cricket board is in contact with New Zealand cricket authorities and would take further decision after consultation. — AFP

 

Average: 5 (1 vote)